VAUXHALL Electrified Cars Manuals PDF above the page.
The company takes its name from the area on the south bank of the Thames, where, after a profitable marriage, a Norman merchant, a certain Fulk le Breant, acquired a house in the early 13th century. This house became known as Fulk's Hall, and later - Vauxhall.
Fulk le Breant was also known for producing carts that were in steady demand. One day, the inhabitants of a medieval city saw one of Fulk's carts rolling on its own.
Some of the more impressionable townspeople even saw devils that were harnessed instead of horses. This mysterious event served as a good advertisement.
When Alexander Wilson founded a firm in the area in 1857 to manufacture steam engines and tugboats for the Thames, he took the griffin from the Breant coat of arms as his company's emblem.
In 1903 this company, already renamed the Vauxhall Iron Works Company, built its first car. The company moved to Luton two years later.
The griffin, the symbol of Vauxhall, is a creature with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion, a mythical beast that combines the qualities of the king of beasts and the king of birds. Therefore, he meant strength and vigilance.
In the middle of the 20th century, Vauxhall connected its activities with the Germans - the Opel company.